Wednesday, January 23, 2008

What are you learning this week?

In class I had everyone look at the K12Online Conference for ideas for midterm projects and to look at new digital tools. This week, I downloaded some of the K12Online Conference 2007 podcast to my ipod and decided to listen to a few on my way to work.

I remember Rob showing podcasting last fall and I hope all of you continue to use this great resource.

Today I listened to K12Online07 Audio Podcasts "Online Professional Development" by Jeff Utecht. Jeff talked about the increase role of online PD for teachers, joining communities and building "your" network. If you do not use iTunes/podcasts, I would like to remind you of all great resources that are available to you. You may want to share these podcasts with your staff. All you have to do is listen and learn.

Does anyone else listen to podcasts? Do you have any recommendations?

5 comments:

Julie Leach said...

Hi Mary,
After our first couple classes at Mespa, I went home and told my husband that all I will need is an IPOD to do this class, joking. Next thing I know he comes home with the latest (at the time) IPOD fifth generation, 80mb. For $350 at the time, that was quite a surprise. Anyway, I have proceeded to get very familiar with Itunes and download podcasts from Alan November, to Kathy Shrock to educational podcasts from Itunes U, MSNBC techwatch, and they are all free. It is a welcome change sometimes to listening to music.

Anonymous said...

Some of the best non-entertainment podcasts I subscribe to:

Learning about PowerSchool:
http://www.psucast.com/

Learning about Security:
http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Learning about Java Software Development:
http://www.javaposse.com

Learning about DIY/homebrew electronics projects:
http://makezine.com/podcast/

Also, while it's not an actual podcast, the Economist makes each issue available in audio to subscribers. This is awesome for me, as I just don't have time to read through each issue in a week.
http://www.economist.com/audioedition/

Unknown said...

Hi Julie -
If you get a chance listen to the K12Online07 Audio Podcasts "Online Professional Development" by Jeff Utecht.

I pruchased a tuner and plug into my radio on my commute to work. I am trying to listen to a few a week. PD on the go!

What a nice treat getting the ipod!

Julie Leach said...

Today, I decided to play more with the Jing Project which is a capture tool, for video and still captures from your computer screen. I experimented with it last week when creating my wiki for professional development in trying to demonstrate how to use the email portal tools in our district. It is very easy to use. I like the video component and you can narrate as you go along. I decided to capture my igoogle and how I use it and other web 2.0 tools on a daily basis now that I have learned to use them. Go to: http://screencast.com/t/wNjjUoUD
Screencast is a free site for 30 days to store video produced using Jing. You get up to 1GB of storage for free in the first 30 days and pay as increments of storage are needed from that point.

Julie Leach said...

I will give that a try, Mary. I didn't realize how much I would use my IPod. All I ask from my family are Itune gift cards. I have bought movies, audio books, games, and songs. I am always looking for free podcasts, so thanks for all the suggestions in the course. I have yet to get the tuner for the car radio. I fight with the kids for what radio station I want to listen to songs from, I can just imagine if they had to listen to someone talking.